February 20, 2011

Kitchen Gadgets

This month my fellow Michigan Lady Food Bloggers are talkin' gadgets.  Per the request of Tricia over at Jonski Blogski, we are all going to wax poetically about our favorites. So here are mine:

Black & Decker EK700 9-Inch Electric Carving Knife, White
Great for slicing up a whole loaf of bread or carving beef, ham or turkey.  Or maybe I just remember my grandmother using one and so I had to have one. 

IKEA Produkt Milk Frother cofee/tea
Super cheap and fun for kids to use, this little guy gives them something electric to play with and is way safer and faster to clean than the blender or an electric hand mixer.  Good for mixing hot/cold chocolate milk or beating a few eggs for scrambled eggs/French toast/etc.

Salter 6055SSDR Stainless-Steel Electronic Kitchen Scale

I love when recipes I'm working with start off with weights instead of just volumetric measurements.  It makes it so much easier to convert to smaller batches and it's wonderful not to have a million measuring cups and spoons get dirty.  My big challenge is that I need to pick a side and stick with either metric or imperial measurements.  Metric can be more precise (since my scale doesn't do more than 1/8th of an ounces) but imperial is more instinctive, it's hard to choose.

Stainless Steel Flat Whisk - 8 Inch

Easier to clean than a traditional balloon whisk this little guy gets in corners and doubles as a spatula for items that won't fall through.  The two I have are in constant rotation.

*To see the other gadget recommendations visit our group blog, Michigan Lady Food Bloggers, at the end of this month.