June 16, 2008

A Bohrok Cake for Alex

Our big birthday week concluded yesterday with my son Alex's 6th birthday. Earlier this week I made my husband John a Hamsterball cake. Alex is a HUGE Lego fan and has been talking about having a Bohrok cake for months now. His father and I have been trying to subtly sway him in another direction since we couldn't see how a cake that looked like a bohrok would be possible. In spite of our attempts, he remained firm in his decision.


For the interior, I made the same cookie/cake combo as in John's cake. The recipes are here. I covered the base in red homemade fondant. Man, does the red food color stain hands! Then I used a bowl to form a Rice Krispy treat and recruited John for carving and art direction. Alex wanted the cake to look like this bohrok, but I forgo the brown fondant on top and rolled out a piece of my homemade dairy-free caramel for the top decoration. I brushed on luster dust with a cotton puff to make the head silver and the caramel decoration bronze. It was my first time using luster dust dry on fondant and it got a little messy. I ended up lightly dusting the red base with dust as well. I liked the effect and it made the impressions on the bottom trim stand out more. If you look closely at the base of the cake, I pressed a clean piece of Bionicle Lego into the fresh fondant trim to make a pattern. If I did it again, I would have pressed Lego pieces all over the base fondant for a cool pattern. I need another reason to make a fondant covered cake so I can play with impressions and luster dust! But, I'm hoping Alex picks something a lot easier for next years cake. Something square...maybe Spongebob...

Here's the birthday boy with his cake:

9 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

The cake looks amazing!! Your soon is too precious :0)

VeggieGirl said...

oops, I meant "son."

Illatharasi said...

Cake looks wonderful!!!!
You are very creative!!!!
Belated birthday wish to Alex:)

maybelles parents said...

WOW, that is one crazy cake. You are a really good sport. (As we are going, I am picturing myself making a bird shaped cake this year for B's birthday.

Maggie said...

Thank you again everyone! This design was pretty strange but I was a lot happier with how the fondant worked out. I'm learning to fear it less.

maybelles parents: I think a bird would be a great cake idea!

Rebecca (Foodie With Family) said...

My ears are now bleeding because I was scrolling down through your blog and two of my five sons caught sight of the Bohrok cake.

"OHMYGOSHMOMTHAT'SABOHROKCAKE!!!!" And all the other boys came running. Let's just say they're impressed and I think I know what I'm going to have to do five versions of between October and January.

Nicely done. I'll bet your boy was thrilled!

Shonna said...

Thanks for posting--you're cake looks great. I'm scouring the web for ideas for my son's upcoming Bionicle party!

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read the article. Thank author for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read that post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.