September 28, 2008

Pumpkin Spice Donut Holes (vegan)

You didn't think I forgot about the donuts for the cider mill trip on Thursday, did you? Since the local winter squash and pie pumpkins are in Alex has rediscovered them as favorite vegetables. He's been licking bowls of baked squash clean so I've been keeping a stock ready in the fridge. This lead me to use some baked pumpkin in donuts. Searching online found me a pumpkin donut recipe on Epicurious that has been tested by a couple of foodbloggers already. I initially planned on just substituting the dairy ingredients but upon realizing we were out of eggs I veganized instead. I don't claim that the pumpkin and tablespoon of flaxseed meal make these healthy but they are spicy and delicious. Have some friends around to drink cider and share these with. Alex was a huge fan of them.


Vegan Pumpkin Donut Holes
Inspired by a Bon Appétit Pumpkin Doughnut Recipe
Makes ~70 (1-inch) holes
(This is smaller than the average donut hole. You may need to adjust the frying time if you choose to make larger holes. Cook 1-2 as a test batch and cut them open to make sure the inside is fully cooked.)

1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
2 tablespoons warm water
1/4 cup soy milk
1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
tiny pinch of ground cloves
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup cooked pumpkin puree (or canned pumpkin)

-In separate small bowls mix together flaxseed meal with the water and the soy milk with the vinegar. Set aside for a few minutes.
-Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
-Beat together the sugar and margarine. It won't cream together but you want to evenly distribute the margarine.
-Add the flaxseed meal and beat until creamy. Add the vanilla, pumpkin and soy milk mixture and stir together.
-Add the dry ingredients in 3-4 stages mixing almost until combined each time. With the final addition of dry ingredients mix just until combined.
-Cover and chill the dough for at least an hour.
-Lightly flour a baking sheet and set aside. Press the dough out to 1/2 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut the holes with a 1 inch circle cutter. Set the cut holes on the floured baking sheet. Press the scrapes together and repeat until all the dough is cut into circles.
-Heat several inches of oil in a heavy bottomed pot slowly over medium low heat. Have a frying thermometer ready and watch the oil's temperature.
-Set a cooling rack over a baking sheet near the frying area. Begin frying donuts when the oil reaches 365-370 degrees F. Gently drop 3-5 holes at a time into the hot oil. Rotate the donut holes with a wire spider strainer or slotted spoon for 2 minutes. Remove and allow to cool slightly before tossing in spiced sugar.

Spiced Sugar: 1/2 cup sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

*Update: I used Earth Balance for the margarine and canola oil to fry.

30 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Making vegan donut holes is great already; but making vegan PUMPKIN SPICE donut holes???? That's just phenomenal - yum!!! So glad that Alex liked them as well.

Nowheymama said...

These look wonderful.

Alexa said...

What a great recipe! Those donut holes look so beautiful and delicious.

Jennifer said...

Wow, those look amazing! And, I'm always so impressed with your photography! What is your secret???

Also - re your comment on my blog - what is quince? I've never heard of that...

Mom said...

Your pictures are always so lovely!

Maggie said...

VeggieGirl: I think the pumpkin was definitely worth adding.

Nowheymama and Alexa: Thanks!

Jennifer: Thanks! I take a lot of bad shots and hope that a few half decent ones get taken as well. In my attempt to try and take better photographs I really like the tips on Pioneer Woman.

Quince are an extremely tart fruit similar to apples that are eaten cooked. When you cook them they have a wonderful floral scent and flavor reminiscent of honey and apples. My father in law has a quince tree and I make quince jelly and baked quince in the fall. There is a picture of a quince at the end of my grape jelly post.

Mom: Thanks!

Speedbump Kitchen said...

This looks wonderful! I really need to get a little deep fryer, the allergist said my kid is a runt and needs to chub up, so I need to deep fry everything probably. This may be my inspiration!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

They're incredible! Can not believe they're vegan!

Janet said...

Ohhhh my gosh your pumpkin donut holes are making my sweet tooth tingle! I bet they taste absolutely delicious.

Ashley M said...

I just found your blog via PhotoGrazing. Anyway. I love it -- and I've added you to my GoogleReader. I can't wait to read more . . . !

Adam said...

Maggie, you just took the deliciousness of cider donuts to a whole new level :) Pumpkin spice? I don't even need to read to know those are amazing. Love it. I'm making these for some friends :)

shellyfish said...

Oh Maggie - these look and sound delightful! I may have to try these, I've never made donuts before!

Lindsey said...

yum, yum, yum. normally I'm not a huge pumpkin fan, but this sounds (and looks) so good!

Dawn said...

I saw your post on tastespotting! Lovely pic. And an even better recipe. This is a keeper.

Marysol said...

Oh Maggie, they may be healthy vegan donuts, but they look like a quadruple bypass to me. Sinful. Absolutely sinful.

Deborah said...

I need some of these - right now!!!

lisa said...

Pumpkin and donut all in one. Fantastic! These look amazing.

Jo said...

I had to stumble these Maggie... they look wonderful :) Thanks!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

These donut holes looks delish!

Jennifer said...

Hey - this post was actually really great timing for something I've been working on. I gave you a bit of a shout out on my blog. Here's the link to the post if you would like to see :) Seriously awesome looking recipe! I have to try it...

http://creativeconfectionery.blogspot.com/2008/09/fall-treat-poll-update.html

Maggie said...

Speedbump Kitchen: I had a little fryer unit (wedding gift) and hated it. You can't get them clean enough! I use my small Le Crueset dutch oven and love it. It's so much easier to clean up and it holds the heat so the oil temperature stays steady.

Clumbsy Cookie: Thanks, I love when the incidentally vegan recipes turn out great.

Janet: There is nothing like a homemade donut.

Ashley M: I'm glad you found my site. I hope I can live up to your expectations.

Adam: I hope they like them!

shellyfish: Give it a try, homemade donuts are the best!

Lindsey: Thanks!

Dawn: I hope you get a chance to try them.

Marysol: After these and the caramel apples I'm on double excerise sessions this week.

Deborah: You have to make them and quell the beast :)

lisa: Thanks!

Jo: Thanks for the Stumble!

My Sweet & Saucy: Thanks!

Jennifer: Thanks for the link! I hope you get a chance to try them.

Dragonlife said...

Dear Maggie!
Greetings!
Thanks for visiting my blog!
AS forshiso seeds, please check these:
http://www.localharvest.org/store/item.jsp?id=7460
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_035-169.html
Don't hesitate to write me if you need more information!
Cheers,
Robert-Gilles

noble pig said...

This looks like something I would love to take a bite of!

Anonymous said...

wow,these sound amazing. what type of margarine and frying oil were used?

Maggie said...

Dragonlife: You have a great site! Thanks for the links!

noble pig: They're good for dunking too!

Anonymous: I used Earth Balance margarine and canola oil.

RecipeGirl said...

Wow, do these look GOOD! And Vegan too? That might be something for me to try!

Jen said...

Oh my goodness, this recipe just made my autumn! YUM!

muddywaters said...

Thanks for the comments. The dinner and movie tonight was a hit. I'll continue to post recipes and pictures documenting the dinner throughout the week.

These look great. I just purchased a couple of sugar pumpkins that I'm going to roast. It's my first attempt, and I'm on the prowl for some great pumpkin recipes. This might be a good weekend breakfast treat.

Thanks for sharing!

bella said...

Hi Maggie...
first may i say i found your blog via a search for Eggless pumpkin doughnut recipes. I have a 6 yr old son who is allergic to Peanuts/treenuts, eggs,shellfish etc... has just outgrown dairy this past summer.
second...WOW!!!! what a fantastic recipe!!! I did alter it just a bit..skipped the flax seed, i have used it before and dont care for the texture it adds to my baked goods. Substituted 3 TBsp applesauce. Added about an extra 1/2 cup of flour for a less sticky consistency and about an extra tsp cinnamon ( my own personal taste ) other than that followed it to a T. We did dip them in an apple cider glaze we created for them, but they dont need it:o)My son is in heaven he has never had a donut before and what a fantastic treat these have been. I will continue to use this recipe over and over. THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting it!!!
Joy

Stephanie said...

I made this using gluten-free flour mix and they still came out amazing!