October 29, 2008

DB Dairy-free Pizza Two Ways

I've made quite a lot of homemade pizza. Originally I started doing it because it's fun and then it became a necessity with Alex's dairy allergy. With all our homemade pizza we've had a chance to try a few dairy-free cheeses over the years. There are winners like Chreese and losers like Tofutti slices (which are even more disgusting than the dairy version of plastic cheese.) We've settled on Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Mozzarella as our favorite pizza "cheese". The taste is mild and it melts nicely. But I also discovered that for me cheese can be completely replaced with caramelized onions. When I found out that October's Daring Baker challenge was pizza I knew I had to have both a fake cheese and a caramelized onion version of dairy-free pizza.

As things went, I ended up waiting til the last minute to do the challenge. I added a little whole wheat flour to the dough (1/3 of the flour by weight) but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. My procrastination forced me to raid the fridge for pizza toppings. I made Alex a simple tomato sauce and fake mozzarella pizza. For my pizza I decided to use up some cooked pumpkin from the fridge. I seasoned the mashed, roasted pumpkin with a little salt, olive oil and cayenne pepper. Then I used it in place of sauce with caramelized onions, toasted pine nuts and fresh thyme. The sweetness of the onions and pumpkin were wonderful together and the pine nuts gave texture and richness.

Pumpkin, caramelized onion and pine nut pizza and a Vegan Gourmet Mozzarella pizza
Part of this pizza challenge was attempting the tossing method. I may have given a few gentle back and forth tosses over the years but never really went all out and tried to spin it in the air. It was scary at first but I managed to not drop it. I had one or two rip a little but they patched easily and it did make the dough nice and round. Alex got to toss the last pizza and inevitably it landed on the floor. Who ever said a little cat and dog hair hurt anybody?

Tossing the dough like a pizzaiolo (sort of)
Check out the Foodbuzz apron! My poor ripped dough

This month's challenge was originally going to be co-hosted by Sherry of What did you eat? but tragically she passed away this July. Her co-host Rosa of Rosa's Yummy Yums continued on alone and used the recipe they had talked about, Pizza Napoletana from Peter Reinhart's “The Bread Baker's Apprentice”. You can visit Rosa's site for the complete recipe as well as a gluten-free version. To see the other experiences making pizza take a look at the Daring Bakers Blogroll.

43 comments:

Ruth said...

Your toss looks good. The pumkin pizza sounds delicious!

Regina said...

I love the idea of pumpkin on a pizza - especially with caramelized onions and toasted pine nuts!

[eatingclub] vancouver || js said...

That is one mighty spectacular pizza! Creative use of pumpkin!

Cristine said...

Your pizzas look great! Good job tossing, too! Wasn't it a blast?

Ning said...

You certainly look like the professional pizza maker!!! Yummy looking healthy pizza too! :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great tossing and pizzas! Really yummy looking! Very well done!

Cheers,

Rosa

Marija said...

I love how your pizzas turned out! They all have a nice crusts, mine were pale :(

VeggieGirl said...

Such innovative pizza toppings!! Yum!! And nice work on tossing the dough - I could never do that, haha.

maybelle's mom said...

Totally agree about the dog hair--extra fiber I say. great job.

Jo said...

Great job on your pizza challenge and fantastic pictures at that!

doggybloggy said...

what no mushrooms? They look great I bet they tasted better.

Olga said...

That's quite a toss! Agree with you on the appeal of pine nuts on pizza.

Cheryl Harris said...

oh wow! that looks great!

Speedbump Kitchen said...

Whew! We agree on cheese! ...Tofutti cheese is horrid...but my kid eats it. I just need to wash my hands really well after unwrapping it or I can smell it all day long!! Vegan Gourmet is much better! Nice tossing...mine kept flying out of the photo zone or into the camera!!

Adam said...

Nice job on the tossing... and it didn't even get stuck on the ceiling :) The pizza looks amazing all crispy!

Elra said...

You look like a real "pizzaiolo" especially with that foodbuzz apron.
Pizza with pine nut sprinkle on top, looks so delicious.
Cheers,
Elra

Veggie Wedgie said...

Amazing work!

Maria said...

Love the toss photos! You did an excellent job!

Lesley said...

I've always been curious about how a vegan or dairy free pizza would look...and this one looks pretty darn good! Nice toss by the way.

Dragon said...

You look like a pro tossing that dough and your toppings are inspired. Great job!

Lynn said...

You are a Daring Baker when you are able to toss the dough like that! I am impressed. Your pizzas look divine. Super job!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Nice tossing!!! I allways thing vegan and dairy free things are so creative. Well done!

Audax Artifex said...

I pine for pizzas without cheese on the odd moments, great ideas. Like the shoots of you tossing. Tastespotting photo was great.

Tanya said...

Your pizza looks fabulous - very rustic and fitting in with autumn. Great work!

Susan/Wild Yeast said...

Pumpkin + caramelized onions + pine nuts = perfection!

Big Boys Oven said...

wow I can smell the pine nuts from your pizza, lovely, such a winner . . .too bad I did not make any this time as I was to busy crafting this wedding cake for a bride, just posted on my blog, have a look and let me know if it is ok.

MaryMary said...

You make vegan sound phenomenal... and the pumpkin addition looks yum!

Shaheen (Coco) said...

Pine nuts, onions and thyme. I think I'm going to keep this combination in mind. Really creative.

madcapcupcake said...

Looks like you had a blast - love the toss photos :) Hey, a little dog and kitty hair never hurt anyone, so true :) Delicious job!! :)

Cakespy said...

Totally sweet action shot!!! It looks totally delicious and carbolicious too! Congrats on a job well done with this challenge!

chou said...

Wonderful topping selection! I think your foodbuzz modelling deserves serious praise. :)

Esi said...

Love your tossing! I got a hole in mine too :) I love the idea of pine nuts on a pizza.

Alexa said...

Your pizza looks absolutely beautiful and delicious. It is an ode to Autumn... just lovely!

Hannah said...

I hadn't thought of putting pumpkin on a pizza before, but come to think of it, that sounds really good!

shellyfish said...

I did pine nuts too! I love your tossing pictures, and great idea to add pumpkin!

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Your pumpkin version of pizza sounds delicious! Love the pic of you tossing the pizza dough!

TavoLini said...

That pumpkin pizza sounds delicious!! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Passionate About Baking said...

Love the toss-up, the apron loogs FAB...& the pizzas out of this world! Well done Maggie...

Sarah said...

Inspired by you I varied my pizza toppings for this week's pizza. I roasted butternut squash with garlic and topped with sauted onions (they weren't quite caramelized) and walnuts. Everyone had positive reviews. Best suggestion would be to use it as an appetizer for a fall meal.

Sarah said...

I baked a pumpkin pizza 2 years ago after reading your post. Tonight I was cleaning out my fridge and had an extra 1/3 cup of cooked pumpkin. (And 1/4 of a red onion to use up.) Looked in my bookmarks and was excited to find your recipe again. The cayenne pepper makes it so much better, and I wouldn't have included it on my own. Thanks!

Sarah said...

Hee.. Just saw my comment from the past too. Love it.

fresh healthy vending said...

Fresh Healthy Vending is the only vending franchise company that offers locations 100% juices, fresh vegetables and fruits, smoothies, and yogurts in every one of its healthy vending machines. potato chips and low fat popcorn like Pirate's Booty.
fresh healthy vending recipes
fresh vending reviews

fresh vending said...

Fresh Healthy vending provide you Fruit Chunk Double Dippers – all that is needed for this early morning treat is a few pieces of fruit cut into chunks.Pleasant Parfaits – this tasty treat keeps in line with the combination of fruit, yogurt and granola.
fresh healthy vending reviews
fresh vending reviews