April 27, 2009

DB Toasted Almond and Honey Tofu Cheescake w/ Pretzel Crust

The April 2009 challenge is hosted by Jenny from Jenny Bakes. She has chosen Abbey's Infamous Cheesecake as the challenge.

I'm celebrating a full year of being a Daring Baker this month! This month brings me back to my beginning with the group since my first challenge was last April's Cheesecake Pops. As a new member last year I didn't want to change much to the recipe so I trudged ahead and used Tofutti cream cheese but this year Jenny of Jenny Bakes wanted us to the be creative so I went for a less processed version using almond butter, honey and silken tofu. It was my variation on the great looking cheesecake from Diet, Dessert and Dogs. Even though I made several changes to her recipe I think the spirit remained and it was awesome! The honey and toasted nuts worked well together and the flavor and texture definitely satisfied my cheesecake cravings without dairy. Best of all I got to add in my new pet project, perfecting a pretzel crust. I last used this crust on the bottom of the vegan turtle cupcakes but didn't have the ingredient proportions quite right. After a few more trials I'm quite happy with recipe now and it was PERFECT with the honey and almond cheesecake filling. Salty, sweet, nutty--mmm!

Toasted Almond and Honey Tofu Cheesecake
Here are the changes I made to the Diet, Dessert and Dogs recipe for Vegan Farmer's Cheesecake:
-raw honey (thick set) for the light agave nectar
-roasted almond butter for the cashew butter
-no lemon zest (called rind in her recipe)
-no lemon extract
-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, instead of 1
-I baked the cheesecake in a 6-inch springform and it needed more baking time. Even with the extra baking time mine was a smidge runnier in the middle than would have been perfect. I plan on using a larger pan next time.
-And the last change was...

The Pretzel Crust!
Here are the amounts for the best version I've made so far.
For one 6-inch pan (double for larger) take 1 cup of fine pretzel crumbs, 1/4 cup Earth Balance margarine and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Blend all the ingredients together and press into the pan before adding the filling.

*Don't forget to take a look at the other cheesecake creations by visiting more blogs in the Daring Baker Blogroll!

**Ricki of Diet, Dessert and Dogs has a cookbook called Sweet Freedom that is currently going into production and should be available for purchase by late May. With her creative mind, it looks like a must have for those looking for "sweet things free of wheat, eggs, dairy and refined sweeteners". I've been very happy with all of her recipes I've tried and the cheesecake recipe is going to be in the upcoming book. Click on either of her links to learn more.


House update:
I'm moved! This past Friday I finished what packing I could and we moved about 80% of our stuff into our new house. After the exhausting weekend packing, unpacking and enjoying our new house I'm back down state while a few new house details get finished and we get the old house ready to go on the market. I'm still too busy to have time to spend online but the end of the craziness is in sight AND I got to cook in my new kitchen for the first time this past weekend!! Lots more pictures will be coming soon, in the meantime enjoy a glimpse of my box filled life.

43 comments:

Heather said...

WOW. that pretzel crust sounds AMAZING!!!

Marianne said...

That is one decadent looking cheesecake. I love the idea of a pretzel crust instead of the typical graham crust.

DJ Karma said...

You and I have the same idea! I used cashews in mine. I love the idea of a pretzel crust- must give that a try!

jumbleberryjam said...

Gorgeous! And congrats on all the moving progress...you're almost HOME!!!

vibi said...

I'm totaly intrigued by tofu cheesecake... seems very creamy anyways! ...and the caramely colours make it very inviting!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie said...

I love, love, love the idea of a pretzel crust. Yum!

Congratulations on the move! Your new kitchen looks beautiful, can't wait to see more pics.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Oh yay! Congrats on moving into your new place! It must feel SO GOOD!

Great, great looking cheesecake too! I love it!

Angie's Recipes said...

wow! I love your big and bright new kitchen.
I love to eat all kinds of cheese cakes, including the unbaked one. Fridge Tofu cheese cake is good for the summer time.

Esi said...

Congratulations on the move! This cheesecake looks wonderful. I'm always so impressed with your substitutions.

doggybloggy said...

holy shizzle Mctizzle - I dont wanna' be 'round when that kitchens' ready.....

Jo said...

Oh wow, great job on your challenge and it sure does look delicious. BTW your kitchen is really coming into shape now.

Sophie said...

Wow, wow, wow, Maggie!!
Great eh excellent alternative cheese cake!!
I adore it!! What a lot of work, you have had! Waw!!!

shellyfish said...

So beautiful! I love that we're both Ricki fans, too! I really need to try to make a pretzel crust, because I just love sweet & salty together. And I'm so happy for you that you're moved! You must be so so so excited!

shelby said...

Pretzel Crust?! *swoon*

breadchick said...

Congratulations on your move!! I can't wait to see pictures of the house unpacked and I'll think of you every time the plane banks over the hills around the bays on the approach to Cherry Capital.

As always, I love how you adapt the recipes. And pretzel crust sounds great with the flavor combos you have.

Ricki said...

PRETZEL CRUST?? What a genius idea! I bet the slightly salty married perfectly with the smooth, sweet filling! And thanks so much for the shout-out re: the cake; glad you liked it!

Congrats on getting so much packed/moved, too. How exciting!

miss v said...

i've seen so many wonderful cheesecakes from this baker's challenge!

congrats on the move!

lisaiscooking said...

Your cheesecake looks incredible! I've been wanting to try a pretzel crust. Congratulations on using your new kitchen!

stephchows said...

Congrats on the move!!! And the cheesecake with your changes sounds great!!

Joelen said...

This looks wonderful and congrats on your move!

trina said...

Wow, this looks wonderful!

5 Star Foodie said...

The pretzel crust sounds excellent for this gorgeous cheesecake! Congrats on the move!

Dawn said...

I love how creative you are with your substitutions. Congrats on the move. Can't wait to see the other pictures.

Pam said...

Look at all that wonderful light in your kitchen!

Bread and Jam said...

I love the idea of a pretzel crust! Salty and sweet is my favorite combination. The almond butter and honey is such a good idea too. It would make me not feel so guilty for eating three slices.

Gabi said...

Maggie - Lovely cake! The pretzel crust sounds intriguing!

Also was interesting to see your finished kitchen! We will re-model ours this summer. I bet you are ready to start cooking in it!!

Gabi.

Hannah said...

Yum, I love the idea of a pretzel crust! That bit of salt must work so nicely with the sweet filling.

Audax Artifex said...

Congrats on your first year with the DBers. I always look forward to your postings. Your cheesecake looks smashing and yes you did keep to the spirit of this challenge. Most lovely pictures. Fab news about you moving into the house yeah yeah yeah. Cheers from Audax in Australia.

jodye said...

This looks soooo good, especially that pretzel crust!!

Allergy Mom said...

The pretzel crust sounds fantastic. I can't wait to see the new kitchen and what you produce there! Libby

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Yay for finally moving! Good luck with all the boxes! Your cheesecake sound divine, I really want to try a pretzel crust next!

chou said...

Congratulations on getting the moving done. I'm really interested in trying to make a tofu cake. This summer . . . :)

Sweetie Pie said...

I'm so glad that the move is progressing. Congrats!!

That cheesecake looks awesome, and I'm sure I'd love your pretzel crust. YUMMMMY!!

nicole said...

I'm lovin' the pretzel crust!

Lindsey said...

Your cheesecake looks great, and you must be so excited to be pretty much moved in! I hate moving, and I always love the feeling of being somewhat unpacked.

Jenny said...

Woohoo, new kitchen! I love the choices you made with the cheesecake. It sounds healthful but still delicious. Thanks for being a part of April's Daring Baker challenge.

Jenny of JennyBakes

TavoLini said...

Congrats Congrats Congrats :D

I'm so happy you're getting into your new house and breaking in the kitchen!!

Salty, sweet, nutty--hard to go wrong with that combo ;)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

You totally piqued my interest with that "pretzel crust." Who knew? What a fabulous idea. Hope you're settling in comfortably.

Brownies for Dinner said...

This sounds fabulous. Pretzel crust? I love salty-sweet. Thanks for this recipe.

Elements for Life said...

sure does look good. would love to try to make that raw!!!! we love raw vegan and this looks great. thanks for sharing

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

I'd LOVE to cook in that gorgeous kitchen AND eat that yummy-looking cheesecake. Happy New Housing!

Sophie said...

Yum! The texture on this looks great :), I'd never guessed you used tofu; it seems like it would be tough to work with in a cheesecake, but you did a great job with it!

sue said...

感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,商標,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,商標,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人