May 28, 2008

Donuts with Dad

Yawn, it's time to make the donuts.

My internal clock woke me seconds before the alarm went off at 5:30am this morning. John is headed off to Alex's kindergarten class for their Donuts with Dad event, an early celebration of Father's Day. Last year I made dairy-free Krispy Kreme style yeast donuts but a twist was added this year as John has given up wheat for awhile.

Yesterday, I picked up a box of Whole Foods' gluten-free baking mix. Then, after a quick search online I chose this recipe for gluten-free donuts. Since there is tapioca starch and xantham gum in the WF mix I skipped the first three ingredients in favor of 1 3/4 cup of the WF mix. A 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg joined the cinnamon. The first set out of the oil seemed a little dense so I added an extra 1/4 cup of soy milk. The resulting donuts were perfect. Crispy, sweet, soft and fluffy inside and very beignet-like. John came home and told me Alex had to fight to get the 11 donuts he ate!! The others were gobbled up without any of the other kids or dads guessing they were gluten and dairy free. Of course only at a dad event would a child be allowed to eat 11 donuts. So far he hasn't exploded.