November 13, 2008

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (dairy-free, raw and fantastic!)

It's a sign of my true nature that the first recipe I try out of the cookbook Everyday Raw also be one of the most decadent. Alas, since I made this exactly as written in the book I will not be posting the recipe but a glowing review was called for. This stuff blows any other dairy-free ice cream I have ever had out of the water! It's insanely creamy. It doesn't have any beany, grainy or artificial tasting back notes. It's just sweet enough. Best of all, it passed the Alex taste test with flying colors! The only thing he was unsure about were the cacao nibs, which are generally a more adult ingredient. The next time I will make half the batch with chocolate chips for him.

The base is made with young coconut meat, cashews, coconut oil and agave syrup. It was my first time cracking into a young coconut and it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be. I don't own a cleaver but I found that using the heel of a chef's knife worked well. I was careful to keep the other hand well out of the way (behind my back actually.) I plan on playing with the base of the recipe and trying new flavors. Ginger comes to mind as one that would be perfect in this. As soon as I find a new flavor I love I'll write it up the recipe and share it. Until then you'll just have to get the book.


Some Links:
My post on the 2008 Epicurean Classic presentation with Matthew Kenney
Everyday Raw by Matthew Kenney
Raw Smores recipe from Matthew Kenney


I'm adding this to Bookmarked Recipes, an event started by Ruth's Kitchen's Experiments. Visit her site for the roundup of other bookmarked and tested recipes. And give some of your saved recipes a try and post about them!