June 27, 2010

DB Chocolate Pavlovas with Michigan Strawberries

The June 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Dawn of Doable and Delicious. Dawn challenged the Daring Bakers’ to make Chocolate Pavlovas and Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse. The challenge recipe is based on a recipe from the book Chocolate Epiphany by Francois Payard

I dub these the pavlovas not meant to be.  One batch I over baked into rock hard pucks.  One batch I over mixed into flattened, rubbery pancakes.  And my final attempt today was the above lumpy, sad blobs.  With my final batch I did obtain the chewy/crispy contrast of a true pavlova with good chocolate flavor which went well with the fresh Michigan strawberries.  But without being artfully piped they resemble the dog bombs in the yard more than something delicious.  Oh well...I do enjoy whipping and playing with eggs and want to thank Dawn Nyman from Doable and Delicious for this month's challenge. 

Links:
-See the complete chocolate pavlova recipe at Dawn's site, Doable and Delicious.
-My other foray into pavlova making, Michigan berry sorbets in mini pavlovas.
-The whipped topping on the pavlova is Soyatoo.
-Visit the Daring Kitchen and see other pavlovas made this month by browsing the Daring Baker Blogroll.

And now for some new Penny pictures!!

The doll baby shot
She was so happy after getting her hand stuck in her sleeve and having a new texture to chew on.

9 comments:

Lilian said...

Aww!! Penny pictures!! Thank you so much for sharing!! I think I'd eat those pavlovas even if they don't look good -- I'm sure they tasted yummy, particularly with those strawberries.

Oh, now I remember what I was going to ask, have you been enjoying the pool? I was wondering if you're planning to post any more photos of the house to the other site or whether it's totally done (I didn't go check whether you'd pulled it down or what).

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Oh forget the pavlova, that's an adorable baby! ADORABLE! I can't believe you had to make it 3 times! (the pavlova, not the baby lol)

Aparna said...

I guess you would know best about your pavlova but from where I'm sitting, they look pretty good. :)
And your little one is cute, delightful smile.

ronmerlin said...

You are amazing.... I'm just saying.... You're a wife, and mother, with young children, and new DUCKS for crying out loud, and still cook and bake and post...


Good on ya.....

Audax said...

It really doesn't matter what happened in the challenge those baby photos are so cute - well done in both senses of the word LOL LOL. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Maggie said...

Thanks everyone!

Lillian: We are enjoying the pool, in fact we're planning on taking Penny in for her first dip soon. I meant to post finished house pictures but one thing lead to another and I never seem to get a chance when there aren't Legos all over or some mess in the kitchen.

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen said...

She is so cute Maggie! Who cares about pavlovas when you have this darling girl to look at!?

Nachiketa said...

penny is just so cute :)

the pavs are lovely......

cheers,
The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts - Nachiketa
Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

Yasmeen said...

I had my bad days with meringue.Glad it turned out right in the end.Love the fresh berry topping.
Those are some super cute snaps :D