March 18, 2011

Trying Black Cardamom (with a fish recipe)

This month's Spice Rack Challenge was cardamom.  Cardamom seemed like a simple spice to pick a recipe for but I've always used it in a prepared spice mix (like garam masala) or in a sweet baked good.  When I saw the many types of cardamom listed for the challenge I was determined to give a new one for me a try, black cardamom.  Not directly related to green and white cardamom, I'm still making up my mind about this interesting spice.  I love it's smokiness, especially since I'm avoiding my beloved spicy smoked paprika while nursing, but when I tried using the inner seeds ground I found it too camphorous and unpleasant.  I'm going to use the rest of my stash to make some homemade garam masala or maybe some more of this cod, which was my one success.

Black Cardamom Cod
Makes ~3 servings

1 lb Pacific cod or other firm white fish, cut into large chunks
1 cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1 small onion, sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
3 whole black cardamom pods
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground green cardamom seeds
1/4 teaspoon whole coriander, toasted and then ground
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
salt and freshly ground pepper

-After you toast and grind your coriander, add the oil and onion with all the spices including salt and pepper to a heavy saucepan.  Cook to soften slightly.  Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
-Add the coconut milk and carrots and taste for salt and pepper.  Then bring up to a strong simmer, cover and cook until the carrots are almost done.
-Add the fish and cover.  Cook until the fish is just cooked through.
-Serve over rice or cauliflower rice. Either remove the black cardamom pods and bay leaf before serving or warn your diners that they are not to be eaten.


Links:
-Other cardamom recipes I have online are my Danish Braid and from way back these Cardamom and Candied Ginger Shortbread. I've been blogging for over three years now!
-I procured my black cardamom from The Spice House.
-Visit Mother's Kitchen next Wednesday for the collection of cardamom recipes.