March 19, 2008

Raspberry-Glazed Baked Donuts

I saw this recipe yesterday for Heavenly Baked Crullers with Cherry Glaze and they sounded so good I had to make them today. The recipe uses half whole wheat flour but they are still wonderfully light. The whole wheat flour gives them a delicious nutty flavor that compliments the eggs wonderfully. I halved the recipe so I wouldn't make too many. Then, after I realised my piping tip was too small and didn't give real cruller-like ridges I used the remaining batter to make cream puffs. I'm still deciding what to use to fill them. For my donuts, I replaced the maraschino cherry juice with defrosted red raspberries which I strained to get their juice. Alex LOVED the raspberry frosting, of course. I'll definitely keep this recipe around and use it again.

And now for the follow up:


Raspberry-Glazed Cream Puffs with Lemon Mock Pastry Cream

Since I didn't want a lot of donuts I used most of my pate choux batter for cream puffs. I used the same raspberry glaze and created a mock pastry cream that is vegan. Of course this puff isn't vegan but they turned out so well I want to remember the filling recipe for vegan cupcakes.

Vegan Lemon Mock Pastry Cream Recipe
Makes ~1 cup of filling
Ingredients
3 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup soymilk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice (or to taste)
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened

Directions
-Add sugar, soymilk, and cornstarch to a small saucepan off of the heat. Stir until lumps of cornstarch disappear. Turn on heat to medium high and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Boil until thickened.
-Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
-Whisk in lemon oil, lemon juice and margarine until smooth and creamy. Spoon or pipe into desired baked good. Excellent in cream puffs, this should be great in cupcakes or as a cake filling.
http://www.grouprecipes.com/45017/vegan-lemon-pastry-cream.html