March 31, 2008

Super Red Slaw

Though I loved buttered hot beets as a kid, I've had an aversion to cooked beets ever since my trip to France in 1995. I was a vegetarian at the time and stayed with a family in a house in the country. They had no idea what to feed a vegetarian. My main meal ended up being a salad of cooked beets, eggs, and potato. The first few times this tangy, vinaigrette-covered salad was unexpectedly good but after 2 weeks I couldn't even look at cooked beets.
Well today I was scrounging through the fridge looking for something for lunch and found that there was a single beet leftover from our Easter egg dyeing. Among the few other ingredients in my nearly bare larder were some red cabbage and a lone red onion. I decided to try my taste buds out on raw beets and see how they fared. The resulting slaw was tremendously good and satisfyingly fresh and crunchy.

Super Red Slaw
Serves 2-4

Ingredients
1/2 small head of red cabbage
1 large red beet
1/2 medium red onion
2 teaspoons grape seed oil (or other neutral oil)
2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
1 tablespoon ume plum vinegar
salt to taste
pinch of cayenne pepper
Directions
-Grate the beets, cabbage and onion on a course grater, a food processor is best for this.
-Toss the grated vegetables with the oil, vinegars, salt and cayenne pepper.
-Serve.
Super Red Slaw on Group Recipes