February 15, 2012

Dark Days Soup with Sprouts

In February my fancy turns to sprouts.  The seed catalogs are busy teasing us with their endless varieties of tomatoes and basil and I'm itching to grow something---anything!  So I sprout, usually mung beans and alfalfa though I keep meaning to branch out with radish or broccoli seeds.  I do not recommend the mixed bag of sprout seeds, they always turn out yucky.  Last year I made a lot of egg foo young omelets with my mung bean sprouts but yesterday Penny's stomach was bothering her and so I decided to make a small pot of soup instead.

This is my Dark Days meal for the week and includes home grown mung bean sprouts, 9 Bean Rows pac choi and onion, garlic from The Saturday Farmers Market at the Village and beef bone broth made from Gallagher's Centennial Farm.  The process was nothing fancy: melt frozen broth, add sliced onion and garlic along with salt to taste and ginger, bring to a simmer, add chopped pac choi and return to a simmer, remove from heat, pour into bowls and top with mung bean sprouts and if desired a squeeze of lime, a splash of fish sauce and maybe some chili oil.

P.S.  Check out this nice article on Gallagher's Centennial Farm.
Visit Not Dabbling In Normal on Sundays for the round up of Dark Days meals.

8 comments:

Kitchen Bliss! said...

Hi Maggie! Just stopped in Daring Kitchen to see what everyone is up to and noticed you were featured. Great interview!!

UGG 5815 Classic BOOTS said...

In fact, the appearance of the shoe is not the most important. Asics Gel Nimbus 9 We should take both of appearance and

quality as the
of choosing shoes. Wearing comfortable shoes may give us a wonderful life. Hogan Shoes SaleDon't let your feet smelling

terrible after wearing bad shoes. Come on girls! Be a lady who understands life!Cheap D&G Sunglasses

Cindy La Ferle said...

Looks like a terrific recipe, and I look forward to learning more about your life in northern Michigan. (Still stuck in the Detroit 'burbs here!) Just found your blog on the Macomb Daily Web site -- I am also newly listed with the blogs in the "Life" section. Cheers!

Senka I said...

Hi there,

We've recently launched the site RecipesUS.com where users can search through hundreds of thousands of recipes from American food sites and food blogs.

We noticed that you have a great number of tasty recipes on your blog (url) and we would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: http://www.recipesus.com/top-food-blogs

If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on RecipesUS.com, all you have to do is follow the instructions here: http://www.recipesus.com/add-your-food-blog

Our concept is already live in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Spain, and we deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some of the top food blogs receive 20,000+ visitors from us on a weekly basis.

Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

Warm regards,
Senka
RecipesUS.com, Hittarecept.se, Findeopskrifter.dk, Alleoppskrifter.no, Todareceta.es

Meg said...

Hi Maggie

My name's Meg - I represent my client WORLDFOODS - an Asian sauces and pastes company from Malaysia. I wondered if you received our email from 16.08.12 about some exciting new activity we're about to begin in the US that we'd love you to be involved in?

Feel free to get in touch with me at fusiontasteteam at roost-online dot co dot uk.

Best wishes

Meg

Meg said...

Hi again Maggie -

Just wondered if you've been receiving my emails on the Fusion Taste Team USA project. We'd really love to kick off soon and the other states have been choosing their teams! Please drop me an email to confirm whether or not you'd like to take part as if you'd rather not I will need to look for an alternative blogger in Michigan.

Best wishes

Meg

My Brave True Hero said...

It is easy to prepare this is perfect as a appetizer or a side dish.

food recipes said...

Hi Maggie,seems good one with sprouts wants to try and see.Thanks.