August 20, 2008

Cherry Tomato and Mint Salad on Lamb Steaks

There needs to be a saying for vegetable gardens along the lines of "a watched pot never boils." A watched plant never produces. A watched plant never grows. The watched tomato never ripens. Never turn your back on a zucchini plant. Ok, it needs some work.

We've been scouting the cherry tomato plants every day for the one or two ripe tomatoes to fight over and then I turn my back and BOOM! I have a load of cherry tomatoes needing to be picked. Ripe tomatoes are falling off of the vine and I'm feeling guilty. Looking around, I see that the mint has begun to flower and needs to trimmed as well. I know I have a lamb steak waiting in the fridge. Thus was this salad and my lunch born.



Cherry Tomato and Mint Salad
Makes enough for 2

3 cups cherry tomatoes
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of fresh mint chiffonade
1/2 small red chili, chopped into fine dice
salt and pepper

-Slice tomatoes in half (quarter any large ones). Place in a bowl.
-Add chopped mint, lemon juice, olive oil and chili (or sub 1/8 t cayenne pepper). Add small amount of salt and pepper, toss together gently and taste for seasoning. Add more salt and/or lemon juice as needed.
-Serve with lamb steaks or good bread.

This little yellow pear tomato was almost too cute to eat.



I'm sending this post Weekend Herb Blogging, a food blogging event created by Kalyn's Kitchen to help everyone explore new uses for herbs.

This week's host is Srivalli from Cooking 4 All Seasons. Visit her site at the beginning of next week to see the other herb-inspired recipes.

12 comments:

Joelen said...

This looks wonderful! It's so colorful and I love the addition of mint!

Srivalli said...

what a beautiful picture that is!..thanks for the lovely entry..its been a great pleasure knowing your blog thr WHB!

[eatingclub] vancouver || js said...

I'm so jealous of your tomatoes! We didn't plant anything this year (moving in a month), but maybe we should have.

The plated dish looks so yummy!

Ning said...

Lovely tomatoes! The addition of mint makes this intriguing!

Olga said...

your tomatoes look absolutely beautiful!

Susan said...

Your picture looks awesome. This is the first year that I am growing the small pear shaped tomatoes. They taste sweet and juicy and they are too cute to eat.

Giff said...

Love the pics!

Adam said...

Don't turn your back on a zucchhini plant... that was awesome :) So true...

Beautiful tomatoes, my dear.

Maggie said...

Joelen: We actually like the taste of red Sweet 100s so much more than the yellow pears but I had to grow them because they're so pretty.

Srivalli: Thanks for hosting and stopping by my blog.

[eatingclub] vancouver || js: I totally understand. We're moving this winter but I ripped out my big garden bed so that I could get the lawn to look nice for when we put this house up for sale. I'm planning on going overboard next year. We're moving onto 16 acres and I have lots of garden and fruit tree planting plans.

Ning: Mint and tomatoes are great together. I hope you try it sometime.

Olga: Thanks!

Susan: I love the look of the yellow pear tomatoes.

Giff: Thanks! I think tomatoes are naturally photogenic.

Adam: I swear I've seen zucchini double in size overnight. It's a sneaky plant. Thanks for stopping by!

maybelle's mom said...

Oh, mint and tomatoes are great. and lambs are classic. this is great all around.

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Those cherry tomatoes look wonderful--I love the variety of colors you've got. Plus, served over lamb, I would be a very happy camper

Kalyn said...

Sorry I am so slow at catching up on the WHB entries. I had a very rough week going back to school! Your tomatoes are just gorgeous! And I think mint and tomatoes go perfectly together.