January 1, 2012

A New Year

The 
This January I'm trying the Whole 30. The last week has been a hiccup in my attempt to gradually transition to a more clean, paleo/primal way of eating for myself and our family. Over the past year I've given up wheat and most soy and cut down drastically the sugars and grains in my diet. Of course there were plenty of slip ups and some major overindulging in fruit.  Generally I think that for me wheat isn't necessarily a big issue but we do think it causes stomach trouble in Alex which is the biggest reason we took it out of our house.  I have found that I feel much better eating low sugar and low grains. The Whole 30 is a way for me to start the year well and recover from the indulgence foods of the holiday season.

Here are a few things I want to add or emphasize for my Whole 30 January:
-At least one large serving of dark leafy greens a day, salads or sauteed
-At least one meal of organ meats a week, my favorite is chicken livers
-Limit nuts, seeds and fruit as treats
-Make sure I take my supplements, including maca which I have started this past month
-More seaweed, use snacks to satisfy the salt cravings, dulse flakes as seasoning and make some seaweed salads
-Cultured foods every day, homemade coconut kefir, sauerkraut, pickles, cultured mixed vegetables

What I think I will struggle with the most:
-Losing that little bit of honey/agave in my salad dressings, I'll add egg yolks to make creamy dressings instead
-Fruit, not eating a huge amount of dried fruit when I'm craving sweets/comfort food
-Giving up "paleo" baked goods.  Unless I absolutely can't stand it I'm going to give up my date sweetened cookies, almond flour pancakes and coconut bread for the next 30 days.  I know I will reintroduce these foods but it will be good to focus on lots of fresh vegetables and quality meat for a month instead of trying to see how "healthy" I can make treats.
-Sunbutter, the spoonable evil temptress

So I can have some of my New Year's Day foods I will actually be starting the Whole 30 on January 2nd and finishing it on the 31st.  But I figure it's good to get this all down now for accountability.  Wish me luck!

P.S. I'm also going to try and keep my Facebook time down, but have no fear it will be only for January and I won't go cold turkey but I may cut down to once a day or less.